The children were fascinated by the zoo and the animals that lived there. We believe they developed an appreciation and respect for animal life.
During our zoo exploration we discussed
1.Types of zoo animal homes.
2.Needs of zoo animal.
3. The caretaker’s role.
Conceptions for the children to explore
- Mention several zoo animals we saw such as : llamas,birds , bears, monkeys, kangaroo, goats and turtles.
- A zoo is a place for animals.
- Zoo animals are kept in cages, fences or water.
- A person who feeds and takes care of the zoo animal is a zoo keeper.
- Veterinarians are animal doctors .
- Zoo animal need food, water and shelter.
The children in room 4 decided to make animal homes.
First, each child became a zookeeper. We asked the children to construct a home for their animals. Next they used craft sticks, paper and other materials to create the animal quarters. Lastly, the little zookeepers gave a description of the home they created. Telling the class who lived there and how they made it.
SONG AND RHYME
To the Zoo
(sing to the tune of “Are You Sleeping?”)
Where do you go? Where do you go ?To the zoo, to the zoo
What do you want to see? What do you want to see?Elephant, Elephant
(You can use another zoo animal such as: snake, bear, monkey, lion, penguin etc)